Push It Backwards

These are a few pages from the comic I got to do for Nobrow’s Graphic Cosmogony. The book had a 4 colour printing process, so I wanted to use a more graphic approach similar to the old adverts using grid design. I bought the book Grid Systems by Josef Müller-Brockmann and decided to go for a 20 field grid. Using it as a base to start work upon I found it very useful.

It is over. Inspiration is on the shelves of supermarkets and the cycle has begun. I wish I put my hand up in class. I fell over yesterday and Dorothy saw me spill my can. There was no undo (ctrl-z) like when I’m in my room alone on the software. Do you bother the furniture when you hoover? or is your patience 1gsm thin? Computing design has allowed humanoid with flimsy patience.
I’m the generation of the wire untangler. Untangling controllers and then wires at the back of computers, I am faster than you. Elders are supposed to teach me how to lay paving, mend the broken fence and pass on the knowledge of the man. However I show them how to use the computer. Barbara and Philip have no keen eye, but they are very chuffed having managed to dial in a design for the lovely tea rooms in the town centre. It is over.

- 20 field grid, scan from Grid Systems by Josef Müller-Brockmann.

This entry was posted in Push It Backwards. Bookmark the permalink.

#29 COMMENTS:   Push It Backwards

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Push It Backwards | Matthew Lyons -- Topsy.com

2. This is great work Matthew. Awesome book too.

3. Paul Tebbott says:

Incredible work, Matthew!

4. Jim LePage says:

Holy crap that comic is amazing. I LOVE it. Defininitely going in my inspiration folder. Thanks for sharing this!

5. Alexander says:

I love the style !!! Great work !!!

6. NEN says:

I just can’t tell you how much I adore all this !

7. Spectacular! Well-narrated, well-illustrated (of course), quirky as always. Thanks for sharing!

8. Patrick says:

Wow! I’m loving so many aspects of this – your style, the colours and retro feel. I can’t wait to get my hands on the printed version. The grid really brings it together too. I will post about you when I get time. Well done.

9. Pingback: Matthew Lyons | Push It Backwards | bumbumbum

10. thierry says:

Your work is awesome!

11. Pingback: Push it backwards auf BILDBUNT | Design, Kunst, Kultur, Inspiration & Experimente

12. ATom1746 says:

Dude you need to release like, a limited edition signed print. I will totally buy one.

13. Sean Coleman says:

I absolutely love your work. These pieces are great!

14. Pingback: Push It Backwards | Matthew Lyons / 8byTen.com

15. Carina says:

This is incredible. I am in love with the colors, so much.

16. Matthew Lyons says:

Thanks everyone.

- Patrick
    I agree about the grid. I think it makes each overall page work visually rather than just one or two individual illustrations cluttered by surroundings. Josef defends the grid a few times throughout the book. He must have run into humanoid telling him the grid limits creativity. Using the grid as a foundation to start work on, I am on Josef’s side.

- Carina
    Thanks, the great guys at Nobrow actually chose the 4 different spot colours as that’s how the whole book is printed, so you should check out the other 23 artists comics in the book. The printing method allows you to overlap the 4 spot colours to create many different shades, but I wanted to keep the colours simple as it compliments the grid structure in my opinion. It also ties into the theme of the story.

17. Shelby says:

love the tea room advert.

18. Matthew Lyons says:

ssssssh it’s a secret no one else has noticed.

19. Thank you for stopping by, Matthew. I’m a big fan of your work! You are inspirational!

20. Pingback: Matthew Lyons illustrationer « R U M T O S S E T

21. Gergely says:

Fantastic work, have to love it.

22. Pingback: Faked Potatoes ▴ Artist: Matthew Lyons – Push it Backwards

23. Pingback: push it backwards | You ain’t got no Picasso, yo?!

24. Pingback: Matthew Lyons / Push it Backwards | Design / HookdIn

25. Babacho says:

Perfect, I like the last one. The tea room one, very colorfull

26. Pingback: Strike Cover || The Blog » A Graphic Cosmogony

27. Pingback: The Inspiration Grid : art + design + photo + architecture & more

28. Pingback: Really nice geometry going on. Each page of the comic is created using a 20-part grid system. Thinking I might pick up on some of this style for an upcoming Flash project. | The Haireline

29. Jason says:

Hello from 2047. Well, actually its 2012. I had to come back for my dam wallet. On some planets this even weights as much as hoover dam. but dont tell mr. dyson this, hes already angry at me for hooovering up water, as he hasnt invented a deepsea divers hoover yet. can you believe i left my girl waiting in tescos at the check out, we only wanted a tomato and tesco are asking for 52 grand! I hope tesco fold like when i play origami while tripping on adrenaline!